Wednesday, June 11, 2008

What do I believe in?

I'm not quite sure exactly what it is that I believe in that convinces me to make the decisions that I make. I guess you could call it a hunch, and despite that things don't fully seem to be going my way, I wonder if that is only because they are the steps required to reach the last level.

Of course, if this was a video game, that would mean there's a mean, nasty boss waiting for me at the last level, and I gotta do everything it takes to beat it. However, before I do, I must beat a handful of lesser bosses to attain all the key ingredients to defeating the final boss. That which is the ultimate weapon, like a sword of justice, to impale the final boss with. Some kind of protection, like a shield of righteousness, to quell the boss's attacks. Perhaps a few magic potions to heal me during the entire battle? Ok, I've gone too far into this metaphor now.. hehe

Life is no video game. You can't save and walk away, or restart and build your characters up perfectly. It's more like a one time opportunity to do lots of stuff before you pass away and can never do it again. Sounds kind of depressing when you think about it, but that's how precious life is. It's a one time shot, so you make the most out of it.

Going back to where I started, however, we live this single life following some kind of belief that we could achieve our ultimate happiness. That we could find peace within ourselves by doing various things in life that bring what we think are the desired results. You have a belief, and I have mine. Mine's is deeply rooted in my Christian background, but that is not to say I am right or you are wrong. We believe in what we believe.

However, lately, I really do wonder where this faith really comes from. Whether what I believe in is really Christianity, or just a gut feeling that I'm hoping is from God. We make decisions off these beliefs everyday, so it's important to know exactly what we believe and why. To reflect and question ourselves everyday to make sure we are on the right path.

It was once said that one should ask even if he/she knows the path.

I've got many decisions to make in front of me. There are some things I know, and some things I don't know. I guess the key to life, then, is not to simply do your best. But rather, know where you're headed first. After that, you can hack away into that jungle called life and reach your ultimate destination.

Of course, this is not possible until you stabilize yourself with whatever it is that you can firmly believe in, and say that you could trade this life for.

No comments: