Thursday, May 22, 2008

unemployment and the future

I'm not much for trends, as trends tend to come and go, but as a young 26 year old who's goal is to prosper financially all the days of his life, I have to think ahead and figure out how I'll go about doing that.

That in mind, nowadays, the unemployment rate continues to show unfavorably and the target group of people who are getting axed are those who are old, but not old enough to retire. Those who are 50~64 years of age who have too much experience to be compensated fairly in the down market and have health-care liabilities. It's an unfortunate situation, and having to watch this happen from the sidelines is a bit unnerving.

Someday I'm going to be 50 years old [God willing I survive that long... haha]. When that time comes, I must secure a stable source of income. In order to do this, however, I must figure out a way to break free from working for someone else OR be at the top of the food chain, where I will have to make the painful decision to axe others. It sounds very cruel, but at the same time, we're talking worst case scenarios. If you had the choice, which end would you rather be in?

I certainly would like to live to see the day I turn 50 and 60 and beyond, and I would like to live it without struggling to survive. I am sure there are plenty of ways to ensure this, but the one most secure to me is by securing my cash flow.

It's pretty crazy when you think about the current situation. Most of us tend to think about as far as just a few years from now. When you were in grade school, you thought as far ahead as summer break. In Jr. High, a few years to high school. In high school, a few years to college. In college, a few years to your first permanent position.

But from there on out, you can't simply think about what you'll do until you reach senior level. You'll have to think beyond that. You'll have to think about what you'll do when your industry goes through a meltdown. About what you do when you've hit peak. About 10 years down the road, and then 15, and then 25 and all the way up to... say 50 years ahead.

People envision saving up and enjoying financial prosperity until they're 65, and then cruising their way through life until they rest in peace. The world is not so simple or as easy anymore, at least not here in the US. It used to be the land of dreams and unending opportunities, and while it still is for many people, the price of this dream has gone up a few more gallons in sweat and tears, and perhaps a few pints of blood as well.

Do you have it in you?

No comments: