Thursday, February 7, 2008

knowledge is power

"If you don't read, you're no different than those who are illiterate" or so the saying goes.

I've been doing a lot of reading lately. 5 books in the past 2 months to be exact, and going on finishing 2 more maybe over the next 2 weeks, and that doesn't cover all the newspapers and magazines and online articles I read. This effectively beats the half book that I read in the span of graduating from college up until last November! Granted, I did read sports articles during that span as well. hehe

In any case, the past couple months have really taught me a lot in many aspects of my life, and I've found that many books on self-improvement touch upon concepts that are universal. Books on negotiation could be applied to dating while books on business management could be used for interpersonal family relationships. It's an interesting web that seems to be ever expanding into the depths of what I would call the very lesson of life itself.

Every book has a story, each with it's own lesson to teach. Even picture books. I mean, playboy magazine teaches us that some women on this world are just plain HOT! hehe... of course, I only kid and I unfortunately do no subscribe to such publications. But I digress! Each book has a story to tell, and from it we gain an experience that we could apply into our own lives.

There's a wealth of knowledge in books, and with increasing technology, on the internet, and this knowledge is so powerful, that people ought to really think twice about how they spend their time. I mean, TV is great. Games are great. Sleeping an extra hour is GREAT. But you know what? Knowledge is greater. The power it holds within will change your life, and let you do things you've never even imagined doing.

I can vouch for that as I've been living out a life I could've never imagined living. It's not like I do crazy things, or have undergone a divine transformation. I'm still the same me, but deep inside, my perception of the world has changed, and I've acquired something that a lot of people in this world seem to lack. I've acquired freedom. The freedom to act according to my own will by my own strengths through my intellect and knowledge.

That.... that's power. And make no mistake, if you want this power, go start reading and make the most of your literacy. If you don't, you're not different than the illiterate. They're not reading anyways, and so are you.

Think, learn, think some more, and do.... and someday, I'll see you at the finish line in all your greatness.

No comments: